Working on seeing if I can switch to Sublime Text on all platforms to make my life a little easier. So far on Linux and Windows is has held up well; OSX is a bit tricker as I still like TextMate and I’m just used to it visually for everything, which is more important than I thought before starting this experiment again.
For my test today and this next week I’m going to be loading three projects in to Dropbox and leaving the files open in three settings to go back and forth and see if it works well and if there’s less “transition” time when going between platforms/locations.
Criteria being evaluated for a successful transition:
- Regular Expressions as seamless as TextMate
- My frustrations with some editors and regular expressions would take weeks to type out; suffice to say I’m picky. Since it’s something I use a lot in data analysis (a large chunk of my jobs) it’s a feature that is very near and dear to me.
- Loading project files uniformly across all platforms
- Running commands
- Syntax highlighting
- Since Sublime can use TextMate bundles this should end up as a draw in a good way
- Speed of file manipulation
- UI Cleanliness
- General Usability (purposely left vague for the “X” factor of all programs)